This delicious meatball recipe makes a great protein addition to any salad or pasta meal!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 small zucchini, grated
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 large organic egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon aleppo pepper or ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes*
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, minced or crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the avocado oil and basil. Mix well.
- Using wet hands, form the mixture into 12 meatballs.
- Using a large oven-safe sauté pan or cast iron skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Place the meatballs in the hot pan, leaving space between them. Use a large spoon to turn the
- meatballs gently and cook until brown (about 30 seconds per side).
- Once meatballs are thoroughly browned, remove the sauté pan from the stovetop and place in the preheated oven. Bake until the meatballs feel firm to the touch (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Garnish with basil and serve.
- Calories: 215
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 144 mg
- Sodium: 512 mg
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 27 g
Recipe from the Institute for Functional Medicine.