If you are looking for a delicious, vegan sauce to add to your meal, try this dairy-free pesto.
- ⅓ cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1 ½ cup packed basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoons sea salt
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Lightly toast the walnuts or pine nuts in a skillet over low heat for 5 minutes. Shake the pan from time to time to make sure they don’t burn.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients – except the oil – in a small food processor. Pulse a few times to chop the contents.
- With the blender or food processor on low speed, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until a paste has formed. Continue blending for 15 seconds until the sauce has a smooth and creamy texture.
If not using right away, pour the pesto into ice cube trays, cover with a thin layer of olive oil, and freeze. Once frozen, remove from trays and keep in glass containers in the freezer for later use.
This recipe makes 8 servings (makes 1 cup, 1 serving = 2 tablespoons).
Nutrition Information (per serving):
- Calories: 115
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 118 mg
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 2 g
Recipe from the Institute for Functional Medicine.